Deanna and Andy Troutman opened the winery at Troutman Vineyards in June, 2001. The property was owned for many years by Russell Stauffer, who raised chickens and sold produce in a roadside stand located near the house. The winery building was renovated from one of the property’s original chicken coops.
The property was owned for many years by Russell Stauffer, who raised chickens and sold produce in a roadside stand located near the house.
Andy and Deanna moved to the property in the fall of 1997 with plans to start a small, high-quality winery. Deanna, a marketing executive, and Andy, vineyard manager at Wolf Creek Vineyards, began planting vineyards in Wayne County in the spring of 1998. After three seasons of very cooperative weather, the first crop was harvested in the fall of 2000, with the winery debuting three wines from this first vintage the following summer.
The two original chicken houses were built by Russell Stauffer around 1935. Russell was known for raising and showing Brown Leghorn chickens.
The winery has continued to grow over the past ten years. The old chicken house has been expanded several times, and now the winery produces a wide selection of wines.